Do you have a lot of equipment that needs to be protected from the weather? You need something to store it in. When it comes to storage containers, you have more than one option. While most people use sheds, shipping containers have been growing in popularity, recently, for their many possible uses.
For affordability, longevity, and ease of use, let’s talk about what’s better: the conventional shed, or shipping containers.
Why Do I Need Storage Containers?
Outdoor storage is a great way to keep your equipment safe. But is it worth it to buy it? Sure, for a monthly fee, you can rent a storage unit. You can drive there every time you need something, or let it sit there while the company keeps charging you.
Storage containers are a great way to keep your equipment close to home, and often for a one-time purchase. Whether you own a home or a business, everybody can benefit from more storage. Let’s discuss the benefits of having more outdoor storage on your property.
If you have a yard and a garden, you probably have some maintenance equipment. Lawnmowers or hedge clippers, hand tools or power tools. It is not good to keep your equipment outside. Nobody wants to wheel their dirty lawn mower into their house. Tracking that dirt and moisture inside can lead to mold. There’s a time-tested method to keep your equipment out of the harsh weather and your home: outdoor storage containers. Homeowners tend to have pretty limited equipment, but it’s still important to keep them in good shape.
Many types of businesses come with a lot of equipment. Especially construction, landscaping, and logistics. You likely know that you can’t leave all of your tools outside. Your equipment will rust or decay in no time. Shelters made of tarp and bringing everything in your house can only go so far, but you don’t want to break the bank.
You want the most affordable method that can hold all of your equipment. Just as important, to keep them safe from weather conditions and thieves. If you own a business and need shipping containers for any reason, here’s what you need to know.
So let’s discuss the two biggest forms of outdoor storage on the market right now.
Sheds are extremely popular and have been for a long time. Most people who own their own property have a shed in their backyard.
Traditionally, sheds were made of wood. Most manufacturers and consumers have been moving to vinyl sheds in recent years. While more expensive than wood, these tend to be a bit more durable, and weather resistant. Wood sheds are a lot more likely to crack and will require periodic paint jobs. The maintenance isn’t worth it unless you prefer the look.
Here are the pros of having a shed made of any material:
- Style – Sheds can add a nice look to your yard. They act as an attractive little structure that matches your house.
- Traditional look – We said it already. It’s the conventional form of storage that so many Americans have in their yard.
- Amenities – You can often buy sheds with built-in electrical outlets or other customizations, for a price.
Let’s talk about some of the cons of having a shed:
- Lack of durability – Sure, switching to vinyl is an improvement from plastic and wood. It still isn’t ideal.
- Cost – It’s not just a one-time purchase. Maintenance costs can really add up over time.
- Limited size – Most sheds are pretty small. The bigger ones can simply be too expensive.
Let’s talk about what shipping containers have to offer.
People are starting to use shipping containers for backyard storage. It doesn’t sound like a bad idea.
Shipping containers have been gaining popularity for a lot of reasons. The main reason being that they can be bought new or used, and last years without any maintenance required.
Here are the pros of shipping container storage:
- Durability – Vinyl’s great, but have you ever tried to break 14 gauge corten steel? This alloy can sustain some of the worst weather for several years!
- Uniqueness – This is not as common as a shed. Shipping containers can give your backyard a new addition that you don’t see every day.
- Versatility – They have more uses than simply shipping and storage. Check out why shipping containers make good offices, too!
- Cost – The cost of shipping containers, on average, is lower than sheds per square foot.
The only real downside is, while providing the unique look to your yard, some people may prefer the conventional look.
Which Is Better?
Yes, sheds have been the traditional method of outdoor storage for decades, but the game is changing. The benefits of shipping containers are too good to pass up.
This is not to say that you should get rid of your shed if it is fitting your needs, but if you are looking to buy your first, shipping containers offer a lot. This is especially true for business owners with a lot of equipment to store. The price per square foot is cheaper, they last longer, and will keep your equipment safer from intruders. They are also more resistant to rot, mold, and pests.
Shipping containers are typically taller, and who doesn’t like high ceilings?
What else? Delivery is simple. Shipping containers can be transported to the desired location, and placed on any type of foundation. Even something as simple as railroad ties.
Many crafty people have even turned their shipping containers into very affordable tiny houses.
Which Is Right For You?
It depends on your needs.
However, you are likely looking for an affordable way to hold a lot of equipment safely. In that case, there is no better option than storage containers. They are rapidly growing in popularity, so get on board early! Check out our deals if you are looking to buy!